Summer is a time to remember that proper tire maintenance is essential for safety and reducing the cost of operating a vehicle. Whether you’re getting ready for a summer road trip or just performing routine maintenance on your vehicle, here are five tire maintenance tips for safety and savings:
- Tire Pressure — Check the pressure of all tires, including your spare, at least once a month.
- Tire Tread — Check your tire’s tread at least once a month. Place a penny in the tread with Lincoln’s head upside down and facing you. If you can see the top of Lincoln’s head, replace your tires.
- Balance and Alignment — Balance ensures your wheels rotate properly and don’t cause the vehicle to shake or vibrate. Alignment maximizes the life of your tires and prevents your car from veering to either side.
- Tire Rotation — Rotating your tires can help reduce irregular wear, which helps tires last longer and maintain fuel efficiency.
- Tire Size — Purchase tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or a size recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
Poor tire maintenance can lead to a crash caused by a flat tire, blowout, or the tread coming off your tire. On the other hand, proper tire inflation can save you 11 cents per gallon on fuel and can extend the average life of a tire by 4,700 miles.