



## International Drive Resort Area Chamber of Commerce

### I-4 / Sand Lake Road Interchange Oversight Committee

August 2, 2023

|                           |   |
|---------------------------|---|
| <b>Meeting Purpose:</b>   | Weekly International Drive Resort Area Chamber of Commerce – I-4 and Sand Lake Road Interchange Oversight Committee Meeting #9  |
| <b>Meeting Date/Time:</b> | Wednesday, August 2, 2023, 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.  |
| <b>Location:</b>          | Zoom Meeting  |
| <b>Attendees:</b>         | I-Drive: David Vallillo (Host), Maria Triscari, Brian Small<br><br>FDOT: Esther Montoya, Seta Koroitamudu, Ryan Flipse, Hatem Aguib, Abhijeet H. Desai, Catalina Chacon,<br><br>Orange County: Krista Taraszewski (OCTP), Carter Gresham (OC Planning), Kelly Nowell<br><br>HNTB: Jim Moulton, Leeland Shelton<br><br>Global-5: Katie Wigle, Mike Wacht |

#### Agenda

1. Past Project Status:
  - a. FDOT to Review past 7-Days
    - i. Hauling of mulch from the project.
    - ii. Continued I-4 median widening.
  - b. Committees Comments & Suggestions

David Vallillo: There were some comments about mowing on the west side of I-4, specifically that area that was previously was heavily neglected, so we want to make sure that doesn't reach that point again. This is very minor compared to the last project we had.

Ryan Flipse: It will probably take a full week to mow the project from one end to the other, so it will probably be more so of an ongoing mowing schedule.

2. Future Project Status
  - a. FDOT to Review next 7-Days
    - i. Continue I-4 median widening. Will begin base installation next week.
    - ii. Ongoing mowing.
  - b. Committees Comments & Suggestions
3. Future Major Milestones
  - a. FDOT to Review next 14-21 Days



- i. No major milestones for this period.
- 4. Cleanliness Review
  - a. Committees Observations over past 7-Days
- 5. Condition Review
  - a. Committees Observations over past 7-Days
  - b. (Fencing, Wraps, Barricades, Temp. Signage)
- 6. Gateway Enhancements
  - a. FDOT updates and Committees feedback

Maria is working on ideas with the I-Drive CoC

Ryan: Regarding the area in Area 7, we would need to maintain ownership and access for maintenance.

David: At what point do you begin removing the grass and putting new green landscaping?

Ryan: If it is an area that doesn't get touched by the projects, it probably wouldn't get new sod. However, any place where we touch it and take the sod off, we would put it back. We would also need to look at where we would touch for drainage.

David: If this project is going to go on for a year and there are currently weeds, is it better to just remove it all and maybe leave it as dirt or mulch so there isn't dust? We are open to other ideas.

Ryan: We'll talk with the team and see what is possible. We are definitely on the same page and want to make it look as sightly as possible. We also want to make sure there isn't an erosion problem.

Jim Moulton: If you see a location that you think would be prime for this, feel free to take a picture and let us know that so we can address it.

David: Yes, it's not across the whole project, but maybe only certain areas. Maybe Area 3 might be a good spot to remove the grass/weeds to prevent it from growing uncontrollably.

- 7. Old Business
  - a. Micro-link from I-4 Beyond the Ultimate is live.
  - b. Ponds and Fountain Possibilities- Under Design Engineer review
  - c. Sweeper Truck Status- No update on the status of truck purchase other than Lane is still looking for a vehicle. FDOT/CEI has requested pricing for a rental truck until a permanent sweeper can be purchased. Hand Sweeping will be performed if truck is unavailable.
- 8. New Business
  - a. Central Florida Hotel & Lodging Association Presentation
    - i. Wednesday, August 9th, 4 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  - b. Upcoming Holiday- Labor Day; the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday immediately preceding Labor Day September 1-4
  - c. Next meeting 8/2/23.



Ryan: In our contract with Lane, one side of the construction trailer complex is theirs, one side is ours, there is also room for inspectors.

Jim: Hopefully will be there in around three weeks. We are still waiting for power to be hooked up.

## 9. Meeting Adjourned.

### Gateway Enhancements Meeting:

Design team: Catalina Chacon, Hatem Aguib is the Design PM, Abhijeet Desai is an in-house consultant for FDOT District 5 and worked on procurement documents for the Sand Lake project.

Carter Gresham: OC Planning in the Community Development division.

David: We want a conversation about signage about I-4 that is iconic

Carter: Shared his screen. Looking through old graphics, we were trying to find a way to create retention ponds that are both utilitarian but also create a threshold and entryway aesthetic experience. You will also see larger pillars with palms. We were looking at overall probability costs in 2019, which this process would be very different today. Budget-wise we needed to look at some of these elements and see what would need to be value engineered out. I believe we had conversations about flood lights, and other elements that were cut. There was also a mural with flags that was underneath the interchange overpass. From a county standpoint I want to make sure we are not slowing things down and we want to be open and aware of funding and feasibility. If we were to hire a designer, we would need to do that within the next two weeks.

David: Right now, we know there are some large retention ponds that are planned that are not shown in these renderings. We want to make sure the wayfinding signage for the convention center and I-Drive districts are brought to this area. We want to make sure that this is incorporated so that you can easily find your way over there from this area. When you are coming down I-4 you have no indication that this area is I-Drive. So maybe we could put some signage on the pilons with backlit letters. Maitland and Kirkman Drive shouldn't look better than I-Drive.

Marie Triscari: We want to know what those opportunities are. Is this something that you can see folding into that?

Carter: The signage package is fully designed out so are we talking about management or funding?

David: When you look down I-4 at Maitland, who funded that? Did FDOT fund that or was it local?

Ryan: I do not know the answer right off the bat, I was not involved in any of those projects specifically, but we can look into that. Is there a current rendering that says I-Drive?



Catalina Chacon: I know that we were putting Orange County logos. FDOT pays for it and 1.5% of the project budget is allocated to this. That's why some of these features had to be reduced. It was 1.5% of this segment of I-4 which also included State Road (S.R.) 528. We decided that this area would be the main gateway and S.R. 528 would get the basic treatment and be scaled down.

Esther Montoya: So, we are putting a lot more money into this interchange than any other interchange comparatively.

David: So, we are exceeding 1.5% from both S.R. 528 and Sand Lake Road?

Catalina: 1.5% construction cost was for both S.R. 528 and Sand Lake Road. And then we said out of that total number we took the base treatment for S.R. 528, which was the painting of the MSE wall, to match I-4 and then we said okay after that, this is how much you have left, and then the County said we want to spend whatever is left on Sand Lake Road.

Esther: Right now, our rendering don't show landscaping because it will be under a separate contract.

Abhijeet Desai: The landscaping at the interchanges and along I-4, that would still be FDOT's contract that comes in later, but the landscaping on the arterial roads would be covered from the County funding that comes in after.

Maria: On the green glass pillars, is it possible to have I-Drive etched in that?

Carter: We can do more research to find out. There are parameters on what can be done.

Esther: We are trying to understand the needs. If you don't mind sharing that signage package, so we can see what we can do now and any opportunities that we can have in the future. We are all in the same boat as far as goals. So please share the information you have. We want to listen and see your ideas and if we can do it, we will.

Carter: I will absolutely send it your way.

Esther: We don't have a full schedule, but anything that can be done under the construction contract, let's try to do that first and wait on anything that deals with landscaping which can be under a later contract.

David: I want to move into the reconfiguring of walking ways to prevent panhandling. There is discussion on whether between the sidewalks and roads there could be raised beds to prevent access to the road, almost as a barrier.

Maria: Maybe even railings or barriers for safety reasons. Is that something that the County would work on or FDOT?

Carter: This is also an issue at the pedestrian crossing bridge. In the landscape world you can create beautiful, lush areas while also being inhospitable for panhandling.



David: Maybe art or sculptures could be placed, like statues, or hardscaping that does not need as much maintenance.

Carter: When are the finalized drawings coming?

Ryan: They are coming in phases. We are getting 90% in the near future.

Maria: We also had the discussion of the pond fountains and whether it's deep enough for a water feature.

David: We know now that there are going to be deep ponds that hold water at all times. We want to talk about keeping the water clean and safe. What are the safety concerns of these areas and the possibility of having a fence since it's next to a hotel with families and 4-year-olds that could walk into that area? That needs to be addressed. We don't want a chain link fence, but we want a good ecosystem, health of the area, and safety. This isn't your typical retention pond sitting miles out from someone's home, it is in a busy corridor.

Ryan: John Hatfield said that we have looked at it and it looked like four to five of these ponds have the depth necessary to have fountains, but we wanted to have these conversations now. We want the discussion to be had between Orange County, the stakeholders, and us on the type of fountains, how they are maintained, etc. We will look into what standards we have as far as any fencing.

Carter: Is there a graphic showing which ponds support fountains?

Esther: I believe all ponds could have fountains. But we need to discuss who would design them, and then discuss who would maintain it, because the department typically doesn't maintain fountains, we turn it over to the locals. We need to have another conversation on this to make sure.

Carter: If we want to have an FDOT and Orange County meeting soon I can try to bring some more people in on this who were originally a part of it so nothing is left out.

Esther: Yes, I will send you a few dates of availability.

David: The areas where you see the softscape in the construction area, will this be touched in the next 6 months?

Jim: Not really. It will be evolving as the project goes on. We will be touching the areas, as we implement the initial DDI, but the footprint would be changing. They wouldn't be the final configuration until much later. We would want to put conduits in ahead of time so we will need to know where they will end up.

Maria: For the next few meetings let's keep it from 3 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. so we have time to discuss these items.



David: Our current invite goes until 4 p.m. But we can add another half hour.